Jan 23, 2013

Providence by Jamie McGuire

Providence (Providence, #1)

Description:

Struggling with her father's death, Nina meets Jared Ryel, presumably by chance. However it soon becomes clear that he knows more about her than even close friends. When her father's former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father was not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. In searching for the truth behind her father's death, she stumbles upon something she never expected, and something Hell wants, that only she holds the key for. Jarel risks everything to keep the women he was born to save, by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.

Christina's BookReview
"You’re only supposed to know the best parts about me in the beginning!” He stood there for a moment, shaking his head with an expression of confusion and awe. 'I love everything about you.'"

RECAP

 

Nina Grey has just lost the one person in her life that she loved and adored more then anything. When some semblance of comfort comes from a stranger at the bus stop she is taken aback. But Nina is about to find out that the stranger isn't really a stranger and that her father wasn't as perfect as his daughter thought.

Jared Ryel has been watching over Nina since he was old enough to become her Protector. From afar he has watched her triumphant and struggle in everyday life. From afar he watched her grow into a wonderful woman and struggled with the love that was growing in him. When staying away isn't an option anymore, Jared will risk it all to find his normal with Nina.

Even if that means risking his life over and over again...

MY TAKE

As a fan of Jamie's work with Beautiful Disaster I was excited to finally be able to read this book. Anyone that has read BD knows what a brilliant piece of fiction it was. I however can't say the same about Providence. :-(

The book started off really good. The premise was great, angels vs demons, hell vs heaven? good vs evil A devil wanting what a thief stole? What's not to like about that?


The moment this book went straight to insta-love with two "drooling" protags I was just over it.

Don't get me wrong I love a great romance, just not the insta love one. I've read numerous books lately and thoroughly enjoy female protags that have a backbone, that lives don't revolve around a guy, that don't diss her friends for a boyfriend. Nina Grey was not that. She started off a good protag but then it just went south.

And Jared please don't get me started. Yes he was the most loving, caring and adorable guy ever. He was strong and what i assume a gorgeous gift from God. But he was also kind of...a wimp. Seriously the begging was just the final straw.

With that said I have to mention that I really enjoyed the secondary characters. Kim and Beth were good friends to Nina. Ryan I have to say was my guy. He was sweet, protective, adamant and adorable. Although Jared is the main protag I seriously loved Ryan and hope that he gets his happily ever after.

Good premise. Not so great protags. I gave this a 3.5 rating because I did like everything else in the story.

I know many people thoroughly enjoyed this series so I'm not going to tell you to bypass it. Pick it up and give it a try.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment