Sep 29, 2012

Onyx (Lux # 2) by Jennifer Armentrout

Book Description:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

Christina's BookReview
“Strange how something good can come from something horrible.”
RECAP:

In this second full installment of the Lux series we pick up where Obsidian left off. Katy and Daemon are connected because of him healing her. What they aren’t prepared for are the consequences of what his actions are.

When Katy starts to experience moments of unexpected “alien mojo” she starts to freak out. And then there’s Blake who is completely normal and different from the infuriating Daemon. But when Blake turns out to be anything but normal Katy discovers just how different she is.

Katy’s life will never be the same.

As she trains to protect the people she loves and tries to fight the growing feelings she has towards Daemon, Katy realizes that she will have to make the toughest decision yet. Trust Daemon or hide what she does learn in order to protect him.

MY TAKE:

When I first read Obsidian I was head over heels in love with Daemon Black. When I read Shadows that didn’t change. But with Onyx my feelings dwindled a bit. Although I still like him but I was a little annoyed with his hot and cold attitude in Onyx. He also became a little bit too possessive and that frustrated me a bit. I understood his need to protect the people he loves but I felt like he was selfish when it came to Katy learning how to protect herself. He loved her, he was jealous. I understood why but I didn’t like the fact that he didn’t consider the benefit of having her learn to harness the changes in her. 

And then there was Katy. I loved her Obsidian. I was exasperated with her in Onyx. Again, I understood her motives and liked that she stood up to Daemon when she needed too but every other sentence was Daemon this and Daemon that. She turned into mush every time he was around. I found myself wondering, “Where did the feisty Katy from Obsidian go?” You didn’t see her in Onyx. The banter between the two was the highlight of Obsidian but in Onyx its just blah. Katy’s fire is quickly extinguished when she’s around Daemon and it just turns old quickly. She is also a terrible friend in this book and I know she thinks its to protect Dee but it was rude and it made her seem very selfish.

I actually liked Blake and understood the reasons for what he did. I liked that he didn’t go soft on Katy and that he helped her develop her powers. Even when I found out his true intentions I could understand him. I’m not saying that what he did was right but I understood why. And at the end I think Katy understood as well, which earned her some points. 

All in all Onyx was a good read. I think it definitely suffered from the second book syndrome but I will continue to read the series. 
post signature
 
Obsidian (Lux #1) Review HERE
Shadows (Lux #0.5) Review HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment