Jul 21, 2013

REVIEW: Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki

Branded (Sinners, #1)
Book Description:

Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best.
Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home.

Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain.

Now every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.

The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me.
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter.
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.

MY REVIEW
"Humans will not be a form of entertainment. And remember, my brave friends, you can overcome anything short of death—so free them. —C. Hamilton"
Fifty years ago the Commander enforced a new way of living. In this new world those who have committed one of the seven deadly sins are branded and sent to The Hole. The Hole is a place which is heavily guarded and cut off from the everyday society. The sinners are treated like criminals and watched over every single moment. And when people are treated like criminals they will become just that, which makes The Hole deadly

When Lexi Hamilton is branded with a blue tattoo on her neck, signifying Lust,  she joins the mass of other sinners and is sent to the very place everyone fears. A place where those branded with her kind of sin rarely survive. 

But Lexi is strong and determined to survive... everything short of death
"He thinks he can destroy me by stripping away my possessions. But he can’t and I won’t let him take my memories, my ambition, and my pride."

In The Hole she finds herself alone and scared of the unknown. That is until she meets a wonderful little girl that shows her how to have strength. 
"Somehow, this girl found a way into my heart, and taught me how to live, how to care, and most importantly, how to love someone."
As well as a doctor that is kind to her, a man that shows her to defend herself and a guard that will risk it all to save her.

Cole is not like your everyday guard. He is dedicated to his job but he tries to treat his prisoners with respect. When he is given his first female prisoner Cole is ready to go through the motions. But Lexi isn't like his usual prisoners. As Cole gets to know her he tries and fight off the attraction he quickly develops for her. But not falling for the girl that fights to survive, that comforts a little girl in need, and has the most beautiful smile, is not an easy feat.
"I never planned on falling for you. You were just an assignment. But it just sort of happened and now look where I am. Stuck between two walls that won’t budge either way. I’m trapped by you and my obligations as a guard."
Together Cole and Lexi fights to survive against the evil of the Commander and The Hole, but also struggle to keep their feelings to themselves. They both know that a relationship between a guard and a sinner is punishable by death and torture. A lesson that Lexi is taught quickly after arriving at The Hole.No matter how Cole treats her or how much she cares for him she has to learn to hide or erase those feelings. But when love is found it is not easy to ignore, and loving Cole might be her greatest sin. 

Lexi's story will capture you from the very first page and never let go. You will lose hours of sleep while reading this one! Branded is dark and beautiful. You will cry. You will smile. You will be terrified. And your heart will melt.

"So you know what? Yeah, she broke me. She weakened me. But it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me… because I have her. And that’s one thing I wouldn’t change."
Branded is the story to read! Pick it up!
HAPPY READING!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment