Mar 4, 2013

The Reluctant King by Rachel Higginson

The Reluctant King (Star-Crossed #5)
Book Description:

Avalon St. Andrews has endured Hell and war in an attempt to secure freedom and immortality for his people. Raised and conditioned to be both warrior and leader, he now sits on a throne with his sister Eden, governing the Kingdom in peace. While his people enjoy the benefits of his struggle and loss, he is restless, bored and alone.

Avalon is summoned to fight to save his people once more as the Kingdom is threatened by a brand new evil. In addition to reigning in a kingship he doesn’t want, he is fighting against the very people he has fought so hard to protect. They are determined to throw away their newfound freedom and their newfound leaders.

In this war and in this kingship he feels alone. And for the first time he feels hollow. That is until Amelia Cartier shows up, invading his every thought and shaking up his carefully controlled world.

Now he faces yet another battle—making Amelia his queen.



Christina's BookReview
"We built this thing together, we shed blood, sweat and tears…. together. And we’ve mourned together. Yes, we have to risk losing those we love, but at least we don’t have to go through this alone.”

RECAP

Set two years after defeating Lucas, Avalon is King. But Avalon isn't happy with it. He doesn't want his people to be ruled over and doesn't understand why they insisted he be crowned. He struggles through it and completely whines about it. He's a warrior not a King. He is used to battle and protection not sitting around yelling orders out. But when his kingdom is threatened he would do anything to protect it. Eden and Kiran (who is co-king) are back so Avalon is free to fight to protect his kingdom from this new threat. And also protect the one girl that has ever caught his attention. Amelia Cartier.
  
He is now fighting two battles...the battle for his kingdom and the battle to make Amelia his queen. 
Will Avalon win?


MY TAKE:


Okay so anyone that has been following the blog knows how much I love the Star-crossed series by Rachel Higginson. This was one of my favorite series of 2012 and I still haven't stopped loving it. When I first heard that Avalon's book was coming out I literally squealed like a little girl. The lovers of this series could not in their right mind NOT want this book! All of the men in the series were incredible especially Avalon. I always wanted his story so Rachel became my favorite person when this was announced.  And she didn't let me down one bit. 

Avalon's story starts off two years after Endless Magic. There have been some issues but nothing big has happened. Eden and Kiran are living their HEA and are honeymooning while Avalon is taking over as King. But he's miserable and wants nothing more to be out in the field. Fans of this series HAVE to agree with how he feels.He is and always has been a warrior. It's in his blood. So for him to feel antsy and whine about being subjected to sitting on a throne isn't selfish on his part. At least I didn't think so. I felt bad about that and so when he finally is free to not have to be a full time King I felt the overwhelming feeling of freedom along with him. I kind of thought that Eden and Kiran were a little selfish to leave him to handle everything alone for two years just so they can honeymoon. How is that logical when you're suppose to rule a kingdom? But alas I don't hold a grudge against our star-crossed lovers. :-)

Any who...onto the romance! Amelia Cartier is a shy girl with a fierce attitude. We only saw Amelia in previous books a little bit. we didn't get anything other then Lucan adored her and she was Sebastian's little sister. Finally getting to see her grow in this book and take such a prominent role was great. The way she acts towards Avalon is justifiable after he treats her so I wasn't upset with the time it took for her to open up to him. Her determination to be involved made her a good female protag. I only wished that some of the scenes were in her POV.  Because I love Avalon and she was there for him during this new threat I liked her. :-) 

The scenes where things got a little hot and heavy were GREAT! But don't worry readers the book is still YA. Their romance was sweet but I must say a little too quick which is the only reason I gave the book 4 stars.

Now the secondary characters of course should not be left out. I loved revisiting with everyone and being updated on what was going on. I liked that Kiran and Eden got their HEA but I really missed Jericho and unfortunately we don't get much of him in this. I can't wait for the The Relentless Warrior to release!!The ending was bittersweet to me and I can't wait to read more...soon. Rachel *hint hint*.


BUY it. READ it. LOVE it.

HAPPY READING!!

2 comments:

  1. I can not agree with you more! I fell totally, completely and utterly in love with the Star-Crossed Series! Guaranteed one of my ultimate favorite reads. I could not put them down for one second. My poor household almost didn't survive! The only 2 things I do disagree with, 5 stars from me! And I love that Avalon and Amelia's love was declared when it was. I couldn't wait anymore to find out! I was way to eager. Haha. Rachel did a fantastic job as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA...I was the same way at home. My husband hates when I shut out the world but who wouldn't for these characters? Love this series!

      Delete