May 25, 2013

REVIEW: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
About the book:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

goodreads-badge-add-plusDuring the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


“One Choice

One Choice, decided your friends.

One Choice, defines your beliefs.

One Choice, determines your loyalties - Forever.

ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU”

My Review

So I hadn't had the chance to pick this book up for awhile and wasn't quite sure I wanted to read it. Then I saw the movie news and the slew of actors that will be starring in this book adaptation so I had to read it. I picked up this book and was done the next day.

This book will capture your attention and suck you into Tris's world. Tris starts off as a naive sixteen year old with the yearning of something new. She loves Abnegation but also struggles through some of their beliefs. When it is time for her testing and her results are inconclusive she gets the chance to decide where she belongs. Her decision was not an easy one. But in the end she knew what had to be done. Tris joins the Dauntless and encounters a whole new faction. One where everyone is selfish, everyone looks out for themselves, and rules are constantly broken. But one where you are free. Free to live your life without constraint. As she goes through initiation she struggles through one on one combat, fears that she needs to acknowledge and to fight so that she does not become factionless. At the end of it all Tris becomes a different girl. 

Throughout Divergent we meet the initiates of the Dauntless as well as the leaders. We learn of their own beliefs and their ruthlessness. We learn a little about each faction through the transitioning initiates and are witness to their strengths and weaknesses.We also meet Four, who is currently my alpha male hero! He is so wonderful through this book and being able to learn about his past and his beliefs about the factions was a great addition to this story. He is a perfect mix of each faction: brave, honest, peaceful, intelligent and selfless.

I loved every aspect of this book. From the thrills and exhilaration of Dauntless initiation to the romance brewing throughout the book. The end was heartbreaking and had me in tears. I cannot wait to read book 2 and then see how it all ends in book 3. 

And with that I leave you with a few of my favorite quotes in this book:

“I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless.
I am Divergent. And I can’t be controlled.”  

“It was him or me. I chose me. But I feel dead too.” 

“We believe in bravery. We believe in taking action. We believe in freedom from fear and in acquiring the skills to force the bad out of our world so that the good can prosper and thrive. If you also believe in those things, we welcome you.” 

“My father says that those who want power and get it live in terror of losing it. That's why we have to give power to those who do not want it.”  

and a little of the romance...


“I think we've made a mistake," he says softly. "We've all started to put down virtues of the other faction in the process of bolstering our own. I don't want to do that. I want to be brave, and selfless, and smart, and kind, and honest.” 

“I have something I need to tell you," he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him. "I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."
"That's sensible of you," I say, smiling too. "We should find some paper so you can make a list or a chart or something."
I feel his laughter against my side, his nose sliding along my jaw, his lips pressing my ear.
"Maybe I'm already sure," he says, "and I just don't want to frighten you."
I laugh a little. "Then you should know better."
"Fine," he says. "Then I love you.” 

“You know, most boys would enjoy being trapped in close quarters with a girl." I roll my eyes.
"Not claustrophobic people, Tris.” 

“You nearly died today,' he says. 'I almost shot you. Why didn't you shoot me, Tris?'
'I couldn't do that,' I say. 'It would have been like shooting myself.'
He looks pained and leans closer to me, so his lips brush mine when he speaks.”  

“Be brave, Beatrice. I love you.”

Buy this. Read it. LOVE it.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment