Jan 31, 2014

~REVIEW~ Left Drowning by Jessica Park

Left DrowningSynopsis

What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?

Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chris Shepherd, whose past may be even more complicated than her own. As their relationship deepens, Chris pulls Blythe out of the stupor she’s been in since the night a fire took half her family. She begins to heal, and even, haltingly, to love this guy who helps her find new paths to pleasure and self-discovery. But as Blythe moves into calmer waters, she realizes Chris is the one still strangled by his family’s traumatic history. As dark currents threaten to pull him under, Blythe may be the only person who can keep him from drowning.

*This book is intended for mature audiences due to strong language and sexual content.

Note: due to mature content recommended for Ages 17+



~MY REVIEW~


Left Drowning is a story of love, sacrifice and fate. It is a story of finding yourself and the strength deep inside of you.

Blythe has lived the past four years in a state of "shock". Her life is empty and lonely. After losing her parents in a tragic way she spends her life blaming and punishing herself.  But one day, after an encounter with a crazy but sweet stranger, she decides that she should try and give life another chance. That chance leads her to Christopher Shepherd.

Chris has a past that haunts him and his siblings everyday of their lives. No matter how hard he tries his past catches up to him. But he will continue to live for the future. He refuses to open up that box that holds his past. He is content with staying to himself and taking care of his siblings. But when he meets Blythe all he wants to do is help her through her pain. Help her "breathe".

They quickly develop a friendship that eventually makes them all a family. Blythe learns to live and love life with the help of the Shepherd family and her new friends. Reconnecting with her brother and past friends, she is on the road to recovery. All of it thanks to Chris, who she falls in love with.

The problem is that although she conquered her pain Chris still drowns in his. And Blythe can't help him. This is where Blythe wins mad points with me. Realizing she is the only one willing to open up she steps back and lets him come to her.

When she finally realizes that fate does exist and she and Chris are connected more than they ever imagined she finds a way to make him see it.

While these two find their way to each other we are taken on a journey that will leave us breathless. Chris and Blythe are a pair that will frustrate you to the point where you want to reach in the book and shake some damn sense into them. But when they are together their dynamic will have you wishing for their HEA.

And I can't forget the Shepherd family because I freaking adored them! They are one of the best things about this book. Eric, Estelle and Sabin are AMAZING characters. Their pain and their personality will capture your heart and make you want to place them in a protective bubble.

I adored this book! I never doubted that it would be great. Do yourself a favor and pick this up!

FAVORITE QUOTES:
"If you believe in fate and some kind of meaning and sense in this fucked-up world, then believe with abandon, love. Enjoy it."
  "There is no set pattern to grief, despite what every stupid psych text has told me. There is no time frame that dictates when and how you’ll feel what you feel. You just get to deal with hell however, and whenever, it hits you."
“I am overwhelmingly in love with you,” Chris says as he matches my steps. “I’ve spent most of my life thinking that my father never gave me anything but pain. But that’s not true. He did give me something. Someone. You. He gave me you. Last summer, you asked me to believe in us. I don’t believe in much, as you know, but I do damn well believe in us. Forever.”
“How can I possibly say good-bye to the person I am so hopelessly, deeply, and permanently in love with? Because I love you, Chris. I do. I will always be in love with you, even though you’ll never love me back. You have been my sanctuary this year. You saved me. Do you know that? You saved me. And I wish that you would let me save you.” 
“You are the great love of my life that I’m never going to have.”

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment