Feb 1, 2014

~REVIEW~ Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia

Poughkeepsie (Poughkeepsie Brotherhood, #1) Synopsis

He counts her smiles every day and night at the train station. And morning and evening, the beautiful commuter acknowledges him—just like she does everyone else on the platform. But Blake Hartt is not like the others . . . he’s homeless. Memories of a broken childhood have robbed him of peace and twisted delusions into his soul. He stays secluded from the sun, sure the world would run from him in the harsh light of day.

Each day, Livia McHugh smiles politely and acknowledges her fellow commuters as she waits for the train to the city. She dismisses this kindness as nothing special, just like her. She’s the same as a million other girls—certainly no one to be cherished. But special or not, she smiles every day, never imagining that someone would rely on the simple gesture as if it were air to breathe.

When the moment comes that Livia must do more than smile, without hesitation she steps into the fray to defend the homeless man. And she's surprised to discover an inexplicable connection with her new friend. After danger subsides, their smiles become conversation. Their words usher in a friendship, which awakens something in each of them. But it’s not long before their bond must prove its strength. Entanglements from the past challenge both their love and their lives.

Blake’s heart beats for Livia’s, even if her hands have to keep its rhythm. Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails. Love never fails, right?

In an interwoven tale of unlikely loves and relationships forged by fire, Debra Anastasia takes readers into the darkest corners of human existence, only to show them the radiant power of pure adoration and true sacrifice. Complicated families and confused souls find their way to light in this novel, which manages to be racy, profane, funny, and reverent all at once.



~MY REVIEW~

OMG! This is one of those stories that I am glad I did not listen to the reviews. I have wanted to read this for a while but was put off by the "multiple POVs" reviews. I am not a fan of a book having more then two POVs so I put this one off. For some reason it just kept calling me back so I took a chance. I am so freaking glad I did!! 

Poughkeepsie blew me away! It was filled with so much love! Love between man and women, love between family, and love between friends. Every character brought a richness and purity to this story that just took my breath away. 

The story centers primarily around Livia and Blake. Blake has watched Livia from his spot on the train platform since the first day he saw her. He has counted every smile she has thrown his way as well as everyone she encountered. But he has stayed in the shadows because no one notices a homeless man.  That is until the day Livia interferes and stops the bullying inflicted on Blake. That day fate intervened. 

What starts off as a friendship between the two quickly turn into so much more. Blake and Livia paths are finally woven together.But all isn't easy in their relationship. Blake comes with a very dark past. A past that has made him afraid of the world. As Livia learns to break his walls she also meets his brothers. 

Beckett and Cole have been the only family Blake knows. Thrown together at a young age they've grown up thick as thieves. But they are complete opposites. Beckett is the protector of them, Cole seeks to save them, and Blake is the gentle soul in the group. The three have a bond that is unbreakable. And when harm comes to Blake and Cole, Beckett will stop at nothing to get his revenge. 

While Poughkeepsie is Blake and Livia's story, it is intertwined with Cole and Beckett's. We see them all find love, and for two a semblance of an HEA. The multiple POVs were done in such a way that did not confuse you or remove you from the story. As I said all of their stories are woven together beautifully.

I can sit here and talk about this story FOREVER! But I encourage you all to pick up a copy! I for one cannot wait to move on to book 2 for Beckett's story!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

“I think it was smile two hundred eighty-six that drove me the most crazy. It was the night train. Blake was so sick, feverish. Honestly, I was considering taking him to the hospital. But no. He didn’t want to miss a smile. He wouldn’t even let me drive him. Blake walked the whole way in the pouring rain for number two eighty-six.”
“Safe! All I wanted to do was keep them safe. How do you protect your brothers at eight-fucking-teen? How do you make enough money, get enough respect to do that? I wasn’t smart, Eve. I’m a big, dumb fucking bastard. I couldn’t even get a job as a bagger at the A&P. I wanted to make their lives worth living. That’s what they’d done for me—made my life worth living. They’re my family. I can’t…I just can’t.” Beckett pounded his chest.
“They would’ve been better off without me,” he continued. “Blake would still be homeless, but Cole made his own damn way. But I wanted in. I wanted to belong. I was too fucking selfish to walk away. I should have walked away. But I didn’t and now—” Beckett choked on a deep, angry sob. “Now, they’re paying for it. All my stupid decisions. They’ll die tonight. They’ll both die, and I can’t stop it. I can’t plug it with money. I can’t bring them back from the dead, even if I act tough or kill more people.”  

“Don’t put off happiness you can have today. Tomorrow is a hope, not a promise.”
“I’ll make mistakes. I know I will,” she continued. “I want to be perfect for you. But I’m human. I can only be me. That probably isn’t enough for a soul as beautiful as yours. But if I hurt you by accident, can’t we stay and hold hands until we fix it? Can’t we fix it?”
"I can’t turn back now. My life leads to his. It’s as simple as that.”
"Love is sacred. Hold onto it. I know a lot at my age. Everything else fails you—money, possessions, sex. But love never fails.” 
“Yes. Absolutely. Don’t you know, gorgeous? Mothers are some of the most vicious killers out there, if their kids are threatened. You just have more practice."

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment