Feb 6, 2013

Gio (5th Street, #2) by Elizabeth Reyes

Gio (5th Street, #2)


Book Description:

When tragedy strikes in the ring, Giovanni Bravo falls into a deep depression, walking away from his dream of boxing to train instead. He agrees to a two month get-away, helping train Felix Sanchez, his high school best friend and now welterweight champ of the world. Once at Felix’s lavish boxing complex, he’s reunited with Bianca Rubio, someone he remembers only as the girl with the innocent doe eyes back in high school. Her refreshing, cheerful demeanor not only takes Gio’s mind off his troubled conscience, he finds himself falling for her fast and hard. The problem—Bianca is Felix’s girlfriend.

Having a sexy, famous boyfriend has its perks, but they come with a price. Bianca not only has to deal with the ongoing tabloid rumors about her boyfriend hooking with other women, but also his constant absence when he is on the road. So now that Felix will be in town for two whole months to train for his next big bout, Bianca is thrilled. He’s even asked her to move into his cabin while he's there. But when he leaves for days at a time to promote his fight, Bianca spends time getting to know Felix’s gorgeous new trainer and good friend, Gio. Increasingly drawn to his sweet smile and smoldering green eyes, she finds herself saying and doing things she normally wouldn’t.

As it becomes more and more difficult for each to resist the other, Gio crosses the line between them. He hopes that one kiss will alleviate the overwhelming temptation and clear both their systems, but it does just the opposite. Their temptation suddenly becomes an obsession--an obsession that quickly forces Gio to realize this is more than just lust. He's fallen hard and to his delight so has she. Now he's forced to make the hardest decision of his life. Risk losing his long time friend or walk away from the only girl he's ever loved.
Christina's BookReview

RECAP

Giovanni Bravo's life is turned upside down when an accident in the ring leaves someone dead. Trying to get his friend out of his funk Felix, Gio's friend, invites Gio to join him as a trainer on his "vacation" in Big Bear. What Gio doesn't expect is to fall for the one person in Big Bear that is unavailable. No matter what Gio should stay away from Bianca, Felix's girlfriend
.

Bianca has always been the good girl. She is in a relationship with a guy that she cares about and one that loves her. She refuses to let the rumors that are made up about her boyfriend to destroy them. But when Gio walks into her life she isn't expecting for her attraction to him to question her current relationship. No matter what Bianca should stay away from Gio. 

What happens when they both cross a line they shouldn't have?When desire and passion take over?

MY TAKE

Okay so in Noah I liked Gio and couldn't wait to read his story. Going into this I knew what the circumstances were. Reading the first half I understood the characters. Sadly, the moment they crossed the line they shouldn't have I lost all my enthusiasm to read this. If you all know one about me its that I hate hate cheating. I can deal with flirting but the moment it crosses that I'm can't get over it.

I lost respect most of all with Gio. He was a great friend to his 5th Street gang and so I respected that about him. I understood his struggle with falling for Felix's girl but thought that he should have respected "the guy code". Felix might not have been his best friend, but he was his friend. The moment he threw all caution to the wind I wanted to strangle him. I know that I can't expect him to be perfect but damn he just had no respect...or if he did it was little.

Unfortunately, Bianca wasn't a character I liked even from the beginning. Her POV's were boring to read. the only thing I did like about her character was her responses to Gio's flirtation. That's all. I felt like she was naive. Yes I understood that Felix might not have been the perfect guy but he still cared about her and she should have had more respect for him. The moment she started craving Gio should have been the moment she moved out or broken up with Felix. Even if she was just flirting with Gio in the beginning the moment it went beyond that and feelings got mixed up in it she should have walked away. That she didn't, was disappointing. But to each there own. My readers might think different.

Felix's character was not in the book a lot and your impression of him at first is that he's a womanizer. I have to admit I didn't like him at first either but seeing him with Bianca made me like him. He sweet to her, he truly cared about her. His devotion to 5th Street was also something I really like about his character. He didn't forget where he came from when he got rich and famous. You have to have mad respect for him because of that. Yes, he made mistakes, but what guy doesn't? I felt bad for him and I do look forward to reading his book if it is does come out one day.

The 3 stars is only because I liked the flirting and banter between Gio and Bianca in the beginning of the book.Surprisingly I like that whole "forbidden fruit" crap but only when it doesn't cross the line. 

I will let you decide on this one. 


Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sad you didn't like as much. I loved this book. I agree with your points though. It's just tough, because I felt their connection. I thought some parts of it were too coerced, but I loved the story overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I really wanted to like this. I enjoy all of Elizabeth's work but I just couldn't get into this one. I was frustrated throughout the book and writing this review because I wished I could have enjoyed it. It won't stop me from reading Hector and the rest though. :-)

      Delete