Jun 5, 2013

REVIEW: Fallen For You by Carlie Sexton

Fallen for You (The Killer Next Door, Part 1)

goodreads-badge-add-plusBook Description:
If you believe your life is the sum total of your choices, what do you do when things just don’t add up? You are about to find out. It won’t be pretty. It won’t be dull. And surely, it won’t be safe. In fact, making just one wrong choice could put evil at your bedside watching you sleep.

And so it is with Kate Simmons, a young woman who, by choosing to regain her life, actually puts it at risk by the very choices she makes. After unimaginable heartbreak stops her world on a dime, Kate falls into a three-year blackness of self blame that brings her to the edge of life, itself. As time finally brings light back through tiny cracks of renewed desire, Kate moves out of the prison she made for herself in her mother’s home to find a new reality, rooming with her best girlfriend, Charlie.

Yet, to be free is to be vulnerable, and Kate’s choices more than ever mark a splattered line between being happy and being dead.

Care to choose? Here’s your menu:
A strangely alluring building manager so possessed with wanting you for his own, he’ll bury more than the fact he has a girlfriend; a buff college student for whom you are clearly hot, as are all the other girls on campus; a pushy lawyer who is as handsome as he is intoxicated with conquest, who doesn’t take no for an answer, who gets what he wants — always.

Sometimes, it’s whom you choose. Sometimes, it’s who chooses you. If you’re Kate, it’s both, and it puts you on a perilous road where good looks and humor are the thin masks of jealous delusion and utter violence.

You’re in trouble when the sum total of your choices is written in blood red.
MY REVIEW
"I want to know everything about you. I want to figure out what makes you tick. I want hours to go by with you and have it seem like minutes..."

First let me start off by saying "OMG! Do you see that beautiful cover?" That was my first reaction when I was asked by the author to read and review this book. I then read the synopsis and honestly I didn't know if I wanted to read about a "love box". But then I kept looking at the cover and I just HAD to find out what was behind it.With that said, I'm not sorry I took the chance...

Sometimes the guilt of losing a loved one weighs you down and withdraws you from the world.  This is Kate’s circumstance when we begin Fallen for You. Three years after a terrible tragedy Kate is ready to try and open herself up again. Wanting a new start, Kate and her best friend Charlie move in together. This is where Kate first meets Roger, the building manager. Later, she begins classes at the University and meets Mark, the gorgeous ladies’ man. Afterwards, at her mentor program, she meets Neil, the handsome but persistent lawyer.

One of these men will capture her heart, one will try but strike out, but one will do anything to have her…even if that means committing murder.


Neil is a hard working successful lawyer at his father’s firm. He gets what he wants when he wants. He isn’t used to women saying no to him so when Kate offers a challenge he is up for the task. He will win over Kate and make her his. As the two get to know each other their attraction and desire for each other explodes.


Mark is a ladies man at the University. But Mark is looking for a girl that has beauty and brains. Not just beauty, like Kate quickly assumes. When Kate walks into the classroom he is instantly enchanted with her and decides that he wants her. As he tries to talk to her he realizes that she does not care for his lifestyle. But the two have an attraction for each other and when they are together it is hard to fight off.


Roger is an ex-military man who has a dark past. When Roger first hears Kate during their phone conversations he knows that he must get her to rent out the apartment next to him. And when she does he realizes that he also wants Kate to himself. At all cost.


As the story unravels you will find yourself at the edge of your seat. You will be angry with one of the men, enraptured with the other and terrified of the other. You will be invested in this book because of the suspense and relationships brewing throughout the pages.


But I must address the 3.5 rating...

1.  While reading I felt there was a sense of aloofness from Kate's perspective. I felt like her parts were not very engaging and consisted of pretty much all the same series of events.

2. I thought the “winning” guy was a little too possessive and he didn’t really capture my attention until maybe later on in the book.  I however quickly enjoyed the other “potential” guy and wished that there were more scenes with him. I was saddened with his outcome and my heart broke for him. I will not give you names because it will be a spoiler and I try to steer clear of them.

3. The third guy. He is the main reason for the rating. Any part with him simply gave me the creeps. He was a sociopath. I was repulsed and just wanted to quickly read beyond any of his parts.

What I do have to do is applaud Carlie for mastering the view into the sociopaths head but it was creepy and I found myself feeling quite nauseous reading his parts.

So here’s what I suggest: Buy this. Read it. Enjoy/Like/Love it. 

Fallen For You will be released on June 6th. For more information visit Carlie's pages:  Facebook ~ Website

HAPPY READING!! 
Fallen for You Trailer: 



No comments:

Post a Comment