Jun 10, 2013

REVIEW: Inescapable by Amy Bartol

Inescapable (The Premonition, #1)
Book Description:
goodreads-badge-add-plus
My name is Evie Claremont and this was to be the making of me--my freshman year of college. I had been hoping that once I had arrived on Crestwood's campus, the nightmare that I've been having would go away. It hasn't.

I may be an inexperienced seventeen-year-old, but I'm grounded...sane. Since meeting sophomore Reed Wellington, however, nothing makes any sense. Whenever he is near, I feel an attraction to him--a magnetic kind of force pulling me towards him. I know what you're thinking...that sounds fairly awesome. Yeah, it would--if he liked me, but Reed acts as if I'm the worst thing that's ever happened to Crestwood...or him. But, get this, for some reason every time I turn around he's there, barging into my life.

What is the secret he is keeping from me? I'm hoping that it is anything but what I expect: that he is not exactly normal...and neither am I. So maybe Crestwood won't be the making of me, but it could be the breaking of me. I have been left to wonderif the dark future my dream is foretelling is...inescapable.
My Review
“There is one thing I have learned in all of the time that I have been here, and it is the best lesson I can teach you. It is this: never presume to know the mind of God.”

In Inescapable we meet Evie. Ever since getting into Crestwood she has been having the same recurring nightmare. When she finally starts school she realizes that the school holds the answers to all of her questions. And most of those answers lie with Reed. The sophomore who seems to be annoyed with Evie being at Crestwood. But Evie, isn't intimidated so easily and does not let him treat her like crap or let the "butterflies" she is feeling toward him get in the way of her getting her answers. Then there is Russell who quickly becomes Evie protector and who which Evie feels a deep connection with.

As Evie tries to figure out who she is, she also comes to realize that her life will never be the same. She will fight to keep Russell safe from any harm and fight to show Reed that he is her true destiny. But life isn't easy when you are special. Evie must learn to tell the difference between the good and bad and come to terms with her new identity. During the way she is coveted by the fallen and resented by the angels.

I must say that this was a good book. I did enjoy the angel aspect of the story and enjoyed the twist to the storyline. This was also one of those books that had me actually rooting for the underdog. Reed was great but I felt like he was really stoic and very distant. But Russell...my goodness Russell and his sweet southern gentlemen self, captured my heart from the beginning. I loved him and I will continue to root for him because he deserves to be happy.

This book is a 3.5 star only because I felt like the connection between Evie and Reed was instantaneous and felt forced. The blossoming friendship between Russell and Evie was beautiful and I enjoyed it much more. I also noticed that this series has 5 books and counting and I don't know how I feel about that.  Nonetheless, I will continue reading at a later time to see how it all pans out.

Buy it. Read it. Enjoy/Like/Love it.

Happy Reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment