Jun 7, 2013

REVIEW: Running on Empty by L.B. Simmons

Running On Empty (Mending Hearts, #1)

goodreads-badge-add-plusBook Description:

I had the perfect life.

Beautiful and loving husband.

Three gorgeous little girls.
Successful career.

The only thing missing was the white picket fence. I really wanted that fence.

Three years ago, I lost that life. I lost my husband. And I lost myself. But, eventually, I found my way through the darkness. I’ve made peace with my new life. I have my girls, and that’s all that matters. They are my world. I have no illusions of ever falling in love again or getting whisked away on a white horse.

But then he came back into my life. On a freakin’ motorcycle.

There’s no way I’ll let him turn my life completely upside down. Absolutely no way. The question is…

How long can I keep pretending that I’m happy with my life being right-side up?

My Review
 
“But you'll never have your happy ending unless you're brave enough to open the book and start your story.” 
 
After having the perfect life, a husband, three beautiful daughters and the white picket fence Alex wasn't prepared for the tragedy of losing her husband. After years of running on empty, Alex works through the struggle of refueling.  And it isn't a good journey. In the beginning Alex is a total bitch, as Harlow, the BFF, would say. She was cranky and she lashed out at the people that loved her and wanted to help her. When Blake enters the picture she is terrible towards him and lashes out for no reason other than because he wants to help her.

Blake has always been Alex's best friend up until Derek entered the picture. As the two drifted apart Blake fought with the regret of never telling Alex's how he felt. Years later Blake is back in town and is intent on showing Alex that she never lost her best friend. With his smile, his humor, his compassion, and his love for her daughters Blake slowly shows Alex that moving on is not a bad thing. He took everything in stride and that alone gave him mad points. He was perfect. Sometimes a little too perfect.

This book was a sweet story of learning to love after having loved before. My complaint with this book was that Alex wasn't a character I connected with. She was at times annoying and selfish.I also thought that the story was a little rushed in some parts and I didn't feel that Alex really shut the book on her life with Derek. I don't for a second think she should forget it but I felt like he would always be in the picture concerning her relationship with Blake. 

I'm looking forward to reading Recovery and seeing what happens next for these two.

Buy it. Read it. Enjoy it.

Buy at: Amazon

  HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment