Aug 9, 2013

REVIEW: The Light in the Wound by Christine Brae

Book Description:

Affected by her parents’ highly publicized divorce, Isabel grows up isolated and alone, with a resolve to never fall in love and repeat their mistakes.

When Jesse Cain enters her life, she falls hopelessly in love with him, and every sadness she’s ever felt is washed away by his intensity and passion. But people change as they grow up. Things can never stay the same forever.

Jesse and Isabel fight to stay together, determined to hold on to what they once had. Isabel wonders if a second love can ever be enough to make her forget her first.

goodreads-badge-add-plus




MY REVIEW


Okay, so I received this book on a read to review basis from the author. So first thank you Christine for giving me the chance to read your debut book. 

With that said I'm sad to be sitting here and having to report that I didn't enjoy this book. 

Isabel has grown up being alone. Her mother was a terrible parent and she didn't want to be with her father, which left her the only choice of her grandparents. When she comes back home during her junior year of high school she expects things would be different. And they are. She meets Jesse and the two quickly hit it off. In a way that he becomes her EVERYTHING. She does what he says and worships the ground he walks on. Jesse is her first love and her always love. But when years past and their relationship is at a standstill Isabel starts to realize that he isn't ever going to put her first. So she leaves him. 

Meanwhile Alex, who has always been in the background, suddenly becomes her new love interest. Alex has stood by as her friend and loves her from afar. When her heart is in pieces he is intent on putting it back together. Even if that means he doesn't own her heart.

This starts off a chain of events that has Isabel going back and forth between her first love and her second chance at love. 

Throughout the whole book I held out hope that it would get better but it just didn't.I just didn't like the characters and felt no connection to them. Isabel was not the type of heroine that I connected with at all. I felt she was so obsessed with others loving her that she never learned to love herself first. Then there was the back and forth between the guys that had me cringing every time. Jesse starts off as a strong character but slowly turns in to a weak character, in the literal sense. Alex was my fave character but he didn't have any build up in the story and at the end I felt he would always be second best to Isabel. 

The only reason this got 3 stars is because I liked the storyline and did like Alex's character. Just not the other characters. I think with some more character depth and a different way of going about the love triangle, this book could have been great. 

I'm sure others will enjoy this story but it just wasn't the one for me. I will let you all decide.



HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment